Friday, July 6, 2012

Fred the Sundial

My office is pretty much smack downtown and conveniently located to everything...including homeless people. We are just a short walk from "tent village," too. Tent village is home to about 12-15 homeless people and they have quite the setup! (They once tried to trick me into driving my car down to them...but that's a story for another day.)

Yesterday I noticed a tent city resident just chillin' in the middle of our street. I've seen this dude before, he's kinda hard to miss because he walks at a snails pace...literally. I feel sorry for him. Anyway, Fred (our office dubbed him Fred) stood in the same place in the middle of the street (kinda leaning back and forth) for about 3.5 hours yesterday. In the 95 degree heat. My co-workers convinced me to call the non-emergency number and have the police come and help him...take him to a shelter or get him some water or something. So, we all watched by my window as Fred was removed. (They were really nice to him.)

I get to work this morning at 8am. Guess who's standing in the middle of Eugene Court? It's almost 9am now. Guess who's in the same exact spot?  

We're going to play rock paper scissors to see who will take a bottle of water down to him...

"Some people have a sundial, we have a Fred." - my co-worker.

No comments:

Post a Comment